Monday, June 11, 2007

WOW!

Ok, this is funny, crazy ...but funny. This is gonna be one of my first free response blogs, just say what's going on. I'm sitting on a love seat in this big room with an assortment of furniture. there's a couple couches, couple love seats, and a couple vinyl chairs from the 70's. Playing on the 55" is Shrek 3 (somebody's got a hook up on movies, they also have Hostel 2, Mr. Brooks, etc... and they're great quality). On the far side of the room is an Indian playing an African a game of chess. They've been going at it forever...oh wait, I think the Indian just won. Suprise??

On my right is the row of four computers. This Russian or maybe Ukrainian girl is chatting it up with this guy in his 40's from the UK. Sitting by them is this middle eastern with the full beard and little knit hat thingy to go along...oh my!

On my left, I have the 'Dude' of the hostel. I think he works here...kinda?? But I think I have him pegged as that creepy guy that hits on all the foreign girls?? Could be wrong...nah! He's wearing an American flag bandanna, and sweatpants...seriously. He had this Russian chick by him and she just now got up and he followed her and said, "Are you going to bed", in a real disappointed voice...hilarious!

One of my roommates is a little scary. He was in the army, I'm thinking probably 'Nam, and he's a little freaky. He just got in to town from the Mississippi Gulf coast...took the grayhound. He lost his house in Katrina, his girlfriend shot him in the leg with a 38 (but he loves her), his parents have caused him nothing but grief, etc... So, he's been on hard times. I walked in and he's going to town sweeping the room. He says, "I don't live like this, I was in the army. If we weren't having war games, we were cleaning . Hell, I swept the sunshine off the sidewalk one time.", I'm trying my best not to laugh. You could tell he's a little 'off'. I leave and go do my laundry and when I come back I find him in the room filling out some mental health form...really! I don't know if I should be frightened or not?? I made friends with him, so I think we're cool. I don't think he'll hurt me, he's more of one to make an assassination attempt on the president type.

Oh, forgot about my night...I had a great night. I walked from the Hostel, just seeing what I could find to eat and drink. I walked what seemed like forever before I finally came across this place called Murphy's. I remembered reading about it on a site earlier and noting that sounded descent. I walk in and Widespread was playing on the jukebox, I knew I was in the right spot. On special was the turkey breast sandwich with sweet potato french fries, of course I got the special...delicious! The bartenders were really cool, a guy named Tuffy and a girl named Marly. Yes, Tuffy is a 'power lifter', but he was cool.

The craziest part was when I met this 'funny guy' named Wade. He said, "what's your name?". I said "It's Eric, but everyone calls me Dough". He's like, "My names Eric too, but everyone calls me Wade." Sure enough, his name is Eric Wade too. Pretty freaky, In 28 years, I've never met another Eric Wade.

I left there and walked 20 minutes back to the hostel. The street the hostel is on just continues to go up in the mountain, so I decided to drive up there. It's all residential, very peaceful. I hopped in and drove up, and I couldn't believe the view. You could see all the city lights and how the city has developed right in the middle of these mountains. It was pretty sweet. After that I came in here and saw the craziest scene I could have ever walked into.

This trip is only beginning, I think I'm gonna learn a lot.

Dough

P.S. I'll try to work on those pics tomorrow. After golf and before the Salt Lake City Bee's(Anahiem AAA team) game.

4 comments:

henrix77 said...

Ok, just to give you fair warning, it's never a good idea to actually post the "A" word and the "P" word (see paragraph 4, last line) in the same sentence on the internet. The fine folks at the NSA (if you're already listening, LOVE YOU NSA!) tend to frown upon that.

I figure at bare minimum, you're getting wiretapped for the next 7 years, maybe more. See you at Gitmo.

KristinC said...

I think you'll be okay with the A and P words. Hehe. It sounds like your trip is going well. I look forward to seeing your photos. Have fun and for the love, be careful. I feel like my mother just slipped in and typed that sentence. Seriously though, what a great journey you're embarking on that many will never have the motivation to do. WOW!

JT said...

Hey Dough!!! I told you that hostel thingy was a crazy idea!!! :) Take care of yourself and don't let any of the "freaks" get you! Really enjoying living my life through you...keep the blogs coming!

Corie said...

So glad you got some pictures posted, even if a few are of the golf course. :)