Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ahhh...Flagstaff

I'm just sitting here in the hostel enjoying the weather. I really can't say anything bad about Flagstaff, I'm really glad I chose to come here. The temps get in the 80's during the day and the high 40's at night. The people here are extremely friendly and laid back. If all the hostels are like this, I'm going to have a great trip.

Yesterday, we got up and drove to the Grand Canyon. I can now see what everyone raves about. I think everyone needs to see it at least once in their life. Pictures can not do this place justice, one must really see to believe. It was about 80 miles from flagstaff through the Coconinno Forest. It was a very nice drive. On the way back, we stopped at a few Navajo vendors on the side of the road. Of course mom had to get some jewelry. When we got back to the hostel, we find out they are serving dinner for $3 a plate later that night. Billy, this guy that works/stays at the hostel used to be a professional chef. I was a little skeptical, but it turned out to be a great meal. He fixed a delicious salad and homemade potato soup. We had watermelon and some Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Ale for desert. The soup was delicious, different than any other I've had.

About 10 of us sat around having dinner together in the courtyard they have. It was a great time to meet and chat with the other guests. You can learn so much from these people. One girl that's very outspoken is Uta, she is from Germany. Uta was the first person we saw when we got to the hostel. She has dreads and wears a shirt that says "fuckyouups" on it. She's obviously very intelligent and also a free spirit. She met her husband here about 2 months ago. She was here and married after only one month....he's got a mo hawk. It was very comical listening to her tell her stories.

We met Christian from the UK. He's just graduated from the university and is travelling around for about three months. He's been in the states for about 6 weeks now and has already seen about as much of it as I have my whole life. When he leaves the states, he is going to Australia and then to Japan. I talked with him in great length about the UK and many of our differences. Like I said, a person can learn alot around here. Bo was the next guy we met. He's from Holland. He's on a six month journey around the world. He just graduated with a degree in acting. He's done several little parts in Europe and done some work in the theatre. Another interesting guy.

Later in the evening, Christian and I were the last ones out there when these three other mates walk up with a six pack. They were Ron from Germany, Peter from Belgium and Phillip from Switzerland. We chat and have some beers, until they ran out. We decide to go to the pub across the street for a few more. These guys were extremely cool. They were all in the states travelling solo when they all met in San Diego. Peter had a car and offered for the other two to jump in. They went to the Grand Canyon to camp tonight and then on to Vegas. They got the biggest kick out of my truck, they wanted me to take them for a ride. I guess nobody drives trucks in Europe.

I got up today and haven't done a whole lot. We went to the store, came back and did laundry and relaxed. We're getting up in the morning and making our way to Phoenix, probably stopping in Sedona for some sightseeing. Mom's plane leaves at 7:30. I don't have any plans for Friday night, just playing it by ear and I'll be in sunny San Diego on Saturday.

So long,

Dough

2 comments:

KristinC said...

I'm so envious as I read your updates about places you're seeing and people you're meeting. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time! Ah, life can be surprising and have it's ups and downs, but it's pretty awesome, huh? The only thing constant is births and deaths. What happens in between the 2 is a big fat surprise! Deep thoughts by Kristin Cunningham

JT said...

Wow, what a beautiful picture of the Grand Canyon!!! It sounds like you're having a great trip so far...wishing I was on the road with ya! What a life!! When you get back, I would like to pick your mind and find out which place was your favorite so I can book my next vacation! Enjoy!