Saturday, June 23, 2007

Staying Classy

You guessed it, I'm in sunny San Diego. For the record, it really doesn't mean whale's vagina...I asked a German. If you didn't get that, watch more movies.

After signing off last time, I ended up going out for the evening with Bo, the actor from Amsterdam. We had a good time hitting some of the pubs. He had never had a margarita, so of course we had to get one. On the way back that evening, we met some locals who lived down the street from the hostel and they invited us to hang out with them. We did, and ended up getting home pretty late. Bo and I are meeting up in Fresno on Thursday and are going to camp in Yosemite National Park. I'm really looking forward to that, Yosemite looks amazing.

The next day, we had to check out of Flagstaff and make our way to Phoenix. Mom flew out about 7 that evening. We took the scenic route out of Flagstaff to Sedona. I'm really glad we did that too, the landscape was beautiful. You need to look at the pics. We made it to Phoenix and I got mom to the airport. I got ahold of my friend Modeer and ended up going to his place after the airport. He lives in Mesa, about 20 minutes away. We went out that night for a bite to eat and of course that turned into a later night as well. Friday, Modeers brother set up some golf at the Biltmore Country Club for the three of us. This course was really nice. Paul Harvey lives on the course. So many multi million dollar homes around this course. I played horrible on the front and much better on the back. It was about 115 degrees when we teed off at about 3:00.
However, I hardly broke a sweat. The desert heat is so much better than all the humidity in STL. I would take 115 in Phoenix over 90 in STL. After golf, we came back and grilled up some carne asada and made fajitas. They were delicious! It was a very relaxing day, we were both pretty wore out.

I got up today and made my way to San Diego. When I left Phoenix it was 110 and when I got to San Diego, it was 70. What a difference 6 hours make. The hostel I'm staying at is right on the beach. I mean right on the beach, I can't believe it. This place is much different than the hostel in Flagstaff. This is much bigger and more of a party crowd. I'm in a co-ed room with 6 bunk beds. So far I've met about 4 guys from the UK, a guy and girl from Switzerland and 2 girls and a guy from Japan. They are all sharing the room with me. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm on the top bunk, right by the window. My view is the Pacific Ocean and this long pier. I think I could get used to this view.

Cheers,
Dough

P.S. Thank you all for the comments, I like reading them. Makes me feel a little closer to home.

5 comments:

MOM said...

I don't see how you could possibly do much more partying than you have!! I just worry about your poor LIVER!! To anyone out there reading this, just want you to know most of the pics were taken doing 80mph with Dough's new camera. If you want an awesome camera, I highly recommend what he has. The scenery is so awesome. If you get lonesome (??!!) maybe I could fly out and meet you somewhere again! (Just kidding, appreciated the week you gave me).
Love You
Mom

Aunt Nila said...

So glad you are able to do this fantastic vacation. Take in & see as much as time will allow - it is all beautiful & a huge difference from good old Southern Illinois. Enjoy ....Enjoy..... Enjoy!!!!

Look forward to seeing all your pic's. My broadband is to slow to download and look at them all.

Be safe & have fun - Love Ya

Corie said...

Oooh, San Diego.... I'm jealous. I think it is one of my favorite spots in the U.S.
Enjoy some CA sun for me! :)

Amy said...

Hey Dough, I am glad to here everything on your trip is going well. I am completely addicted to your blog. I was reading Corie's blog one day and I saw a comment from your mom so I had to check out your blog! :) I hope all is going well and you are staying safe. Keep the picture coming they are wonderful.

Amy

Amy said...

Hey Dough, glad to hear everything is going well on your trip. It sounds so exciting! I am completely addicted to your blog! :) I was reading Corie's one day and I saw a comment from your mom so I had to check it out. It gets kinda boring at home being on maternity leave so this keeps things interesting. I hope you have a great time and you are safe. Keep the pictures coming, they are wonderful.

Amy