Sunday, July 22, 2007

Rain Rain Go Away!

Salut (that's French slang for hello),

I knew my luck with the weather would run out eventually, I hate it though. It's been raining off and on here in Vancouver since we arrived on Friday. The locals are getting upset too, they said this much rain in the summer is not typical. I've still been having a good time though.

Our trip up here was interesting, never been stopped by immigration before. I guess the guy at the border thought it was a little suspicious having an American, Belgian, and a French in the truck. He made us pull over and go in and talk to immigration. Go figure, I was the one that had the most trouble getting into Canada. I only had a drivers license as id, I totally forgot to bring a copy of my birth certificate. I was given a quick verbal quiz on the U.S. by the woman working the immigration counter. "Who's the president? How many terms did Clinton serve? Who was president before Clinton? What's the address of the White House?" I was a little nervous, but I got them all right. So, I'm in Canada! Getting back into the states might be a little tougher. She asked if I was confident I could answer questions that only an American could answer, I hope I can.

The hostel I'm staying in is really cool, great location. It's on Granville street which is the "entertainment street", there's bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, etc... The first floor of the hostel is a bar/restaurant and all the rooms are upstairs. There's a good mix of people staying here too.

When we got to town, we were all a little tired and decided to have a relaxing night...of course it was raining too. We made dinner in the hostel, had a couple drinks and called it a night. Yesterday, we get up and...still raining. We decided to go check out the Vancouver Art Museum, great decision. The exhibition they were showing was called "Monet to Dali", it was really good. I got to see works from all the greats: Monet, Manet, Cezanne, Picasso, Dali, Van Gogh, etc... It was pretty special having all of these greats together in one place. I learned alot about art yesterday, we were there 3 hours. Down the street from the hostel is a Micheal Godard gallery, I love his stuff. If I were to ever buy art, it would definitely be something from him. After the museum, Peter and Stephanie had to move hostels, so we got their bags and got them checked into another one. We had our last supper last night and of course a night on the town. Their bus left at 11:00 this morning. I really hated to see them leave, I believe I have some new friends I'll have for the rest of my life. They are amazing people, I learned so much from both of them. I promised I would come visit them. So...maybe I'll have a European blog next summer???

Not doing much today, not a lot of energy. It's been a computer day for me. I looked at some hostels throughout Canada and have a pretty good idea of my my last couple weeks. I think I'll be stopping in Kelowna, Banff, Calgary, and Winnipeg before heading back to good ole midwest. This summer has gone by so fast, I can't believe it's winding down.

Oh, almost forgot. Hey Kris! Not travelling with any Spanish, just practicing a little bit. I decided I'm going to take a Spanish class when I get back. I checked it out, and SWIC has a night class on Tuesdays I'm going to take. It just hit me one day when I was walking through a park in Portland. I'm really excited about it. It makes so much sense too. I have to do professional development anyway, so why not do something I want to do. Plus, it will move me up the pay scale and who knows, maybe I'll take enough to get a certification in Spanish. A Spanish speaking teacher can pretty much write their own ticket. I think it's going to be a good move for me.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend. I'm a little upset I missed the British Open, I just read about it and it sounded like it was a great tournament. I haven't sat and watched tv since I left. I haven't even really been keeping up with baseball, I try to set my fantasy lineup every now and then, that's about it. I'm guessing the Cardinals still have a bullpen for a starting rotation?? See you all soon!

Cheers,

Dough

2 comments:

KristinC said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm interested in taking a class in Espanol, also. I learned alot living in Austin, so I'm pretty much fluent now. My parents have a running joke that my donor must be from Spain because, apparently, I spoke only Spanish for several days after my transplant. I'm impressed that you knew the address of the White House. Oh, and I'll be your travel partner next summer. Europa is calling my name, though I can't travel internationally until I'm 2 years post-transplant. I have friends in Italy and Holland, so we can visit a pretty wide array of places with your friends and mine....The Cards are doing alright, not great, but alright. Be careful traveling solo, but enjoy!

Erks said...

HEEEEY there DOUGH Daddy!!! I'm soooo happy for you that you were able to make this trip happen!! Sounds like you are livin' it up and soaking it all in! Take advantage of every moment... it's been 6 years since I did my 2 months in Europe and I still think about it weekly!! BTW - you should DEFINITELY make good on doing a European Doughciphus tour... amazing is an understatement!!

I'm posting because I'm interested in taking that spanish class too... yesterday I had to help a spanish speaking client and was able to get through it but I know if I could get back to where I was with it when I lived down south - I could be bilingual in no time! :o) And I may end up back in God's Country at some point so it'll probably be mandatory if I want to be employed!! So - keep me posted on that!

Enjoy and CELEBRATE the rest of travels and thanks for sharing your experience!! Hugs - Erks :o)