Monday, July 9, 2007

Goodbye California :(

Time for another update, I feel like I haven't done it in awhile.

Friday, I made my way to Martinez, only about a 30 minute drive. It was a productive day, I got a haircut, laundry done, oil changed and truck washed. Would you believe I've already drove over 4,000 miles! I met Corey Dagner and we went out for the evening in downtown Martinez. I'm sure everyone can imagine what happened that night. Details?? Yeah, I don't have many either.

Saturday, Corey had to work, so I took in a movie at the theater down the street. I went and saw Live Free or Die Hard, it was pretty good. When Corey got off, we went and got some dinner and visited one of his friends before making it to the Red Caboose. The owner was having a birthday party there, so it was a good time. Good band, and of course I was dancing.

Sunday, I got up with the intentions of making it up to Klamath, Ca. About an hour into my drive, my phone rings, it was Peter. He and Phillip were camping in southern Humboldt county at a little town called Myers Flat. Phillip had to drive back today to LA and Peter still has a few more weeks. So, he asked if he could jump in with me for awhile. I looked on the map and it was right on my way so I stopped in Myers Flat for the evening. It turned out to be great. Myers Flat is in redwood country right along the Avenue of Giants. I even got to see a car drive through a tree.

It was Phillip's last supper, so we had a feast. They had bought steaks, potato salad, green salad, etc... it was delicious. This of course was after our swim in the river, the campsite had a great location. That evening, we decided to visit the Trading Post Saloon in town. Peter and Phillip had been there the previous evening and said I had to see it. I now know why, some very interesting characters around there (see pics). The owner is about 80 years old and a very nice man. They were closing up about 10:00 when we got there. After he saw them, he said to keep the bar open a little longer for his friends. I don't think they get many like us around there.

Today, Phillip took off for LA and Peter and I started up the coast. Northern California and southern Oregon has a wonderful coastline, I've never seen anything like it. We ended up here in Eugene, Oregon about 10:00 tonight. It was a lot of driving, but it was worth it. Now we only have less than 2 hours to Portland tomorrow morning. I'm really looking forward to Portland, I'll finally stop moving for a bit. I think I'm there about 6 days.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I'll talk to you soon.

Dough

3 comments:

Corie said...

Enjoy Oregon!
Can't wait to see more pictures! :)

KristinC said...

Hey Buddy! That's cool that Phillip is traveling with you. It's always nice to have a temporary driving companion. I was researching the location of Dale Chihuly to encourage you to see some of his stuff while you are out there! I thought of him when I suddenly realized I have friends in Eugene as well! The guy is a glass blower, too. In any case, Chihuly has exhibits in Ashland, Or and all over Seattle and Tacoma, Wa. You should take the chance to see them if you have time. If you see a glass blowing school in Eugene, stop in and look up Jeff Ballard. He's a stand up guy and lots of fun. He's from Naperville, IL and you can tell him I sent you!

Linda said...

Hey Dough,
This truly amazes me everytime I check out your blog. I'm enjoying your adventures tremendously. Your having a trip of a life time. I'm glad things are going well for you. Keep having fun, and keep being safe.